black history, theology, Kids' books

Monday, July 14, 2014

5 Thoughts on our Mission Trip to the Bahamas

We're just getting back in the swing of things from what may have been the best week our family has ever had together! It was an amazing trip. 

Quick recap: Emily, all five kids and I helped put on a Young Life Camp for kids in Eleuthera, which is an island in the Bahamas!  

A blog that covered every great thing about the trip would be more like a book, so I'll just pick five of my favorite things about the trip. 


1.  We made the right decision by taking our kids.  







On the plane, a woman said, "You're bringing your kids to the Bahamas? What kind of vacation is that?" Technically, we were on a missions trip, but I understand. Sometimes couples need to get away together. However, what made this trip so special to me was seeing my kids in constant amazement. Doing things like this with a big family is hard. Trust me, we know. We're nowhere close to rich!!!!! If you ever get a chance to do something like that as a family, please go! You will never regret it! 

2. It's impossible to miss the artistry of God! 





On our final full day in the Bahamas, once the Young Life camp was over, the island missionary director Keith Doster told us our goal for Saturday was to enjoy God's creation. The beaches all look like swimming pools with sand bottoms. The scenery is breathtaking. The creativity is God is on full display. It reminds of an old school LeCrae song, "I'm not worrying about changing shoes, my God can change the city sky from grey to blue." 

3. Even Paradise needs the gospel. 





During my club talks to the kids at Young Life camp, I told them how in my first-ever trip tot the Bahamas, one of my college basketball teammates was robbed in Nassau. Even in a picture-perfect place like the Bahamas, there is brokenness. No place, no matter how beautiful, can escape it. The blessed hope is God promised to reconcile all the broken things in this world to Himself through Jesus Christ. 

4. This could be your blog next year. 




There are some really cool short-term and mid-term mission trips where you can serve where in the exact same place where we served.  For all of my friends with Young Life connections, please consider serving in the ministry overseas through Young Life Expeditions. Also, The Eleuthera Bible Training Center has a two-month internship program in June and July for any college-age kids seeking a really challenging and amazing discipleship program. 

5. You can help kids in Staunton have a wonderful week of Young Life camp, too.





Lee High kids - along with other area high schools - head to Young Life Camp at Lake Champion on July 19. We are still signing up kids, and every penny helps. One ongoing fundraiser is that for the next 50 books I sell, 100 percent of the proceeds go to help Lee High kids go to Young Life camp! Books are $10 each! 

This was definitely the highlight of my summer. I would love to hear from you, too! What's been the highlight of your summer so far? 

No comments:

Post a Comment